If you are renovating your home in Christchurch, chances are you will encounter a few older electrical items that are no longer up to code. Or you may want to remove, add or relocate electrical outlets, lights, and quite possibly your whole switch board.
Know your limits when working with electricity
You can do a lot of this work yourself in New Zealand, but if you’re not confident or experienced, there is a lot that can go wrong. Excuse the pun, but the results are often quite shocking!
As registered electricians in Christchurch, we are often called in at the last minute to rescue a project that went south very quickly. It’s usually a lot easier if we are called in beforehand, while there is still a clean slate to work with, rather than trying to unravel a DIY job.
What is a residential electrical servicing?
A simple residential electrical servicing is all that is needed to identify problems before they happen, and to help you make a plan for your reno. An electrical servicing can include any or all of the following:
- Checking the main switch / fuse box – this includes checking that the connections are tight, the breakers are in good working order, that there is no corrosion, and ensuring that the panel is properly labelled.
- Checking Residual current device (RCD) – This includes testing RCDs to ensure they are working properly, remembering that RCDs are designed to protect human life.
- Checking all electrical outlets – this includes checking that the outlets are properly grounded and that the wiring is in good condition.
- Checking all light fixtures – this includes checking for loose connections, worn wiring and bulbs that need to be replaced.
- Checking the smoke detectors – this includes checking the batteries and testing the detectors to ensure they are working properly.
- Checking the grounding system – this includes checking the grounding rods and making sure they are properly connected.
- Checking the wiring – this includes checking for loose connections, frayed wires and improper splices. Also replacing old wiring that is no longer up to code.
Don’t hesitate to get in touch
If you know you are experiencing problems with your electrical system, the first step is to contact a registered electrician like JMW Electrical. We will be able to carry out a full inspection of your property and identify any issues that need to be addressed.
In some cases, we may be able to resolve the problem there and then; in others, we may need to carry out further testing or investigations.
After the inspection, we will provide a report of our findings and make recommendations for any necessary repairs or upgrades. We can also provide a quote for any work that needs to be done.
If you have any questions about what is included in a residential electrical servicing, or if you would like to schedule a service, please contact us today.
About JMW Electrical
As Master Electricians, we pride ourselves on quality service and workmanship. Our electricians in Christchurch NZ are fully registered and comply with Workplace Health and Safety standards. We combine old fashioned values with up-to-date technology and job management software to ensure that we are organised, communicate effectively, and get the job done right first time.
We care deeply about the quality of our work and our service. We’re that serious about it that we guarantee our work: If we don’t deliver on our promise you can pay us exactly what you think is a reasonable amount for your job. Simple.